Pages

Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Easy and Quick Gingerbread Men

In the middle of winter there is nothing better than a good gingerbread cookie. Now I am really picky about my gingerbread cookies. They have to be soft and warming but still gingery and sweet. I know that the 'American' gingerbread men recipe contains molasses but molasses are a rare and hated thing in my house. I think it's a New Zealand thing? I know most of my friends have no clue what they are. Anyway when I first began to make gingerbread recipes I bought a jar of molasses and I tried a couple of 'American' recipes that called for 1/2 cup of molasses and for someone who doesn't like the taste of molasses they all turned out horribly. Even my brother who will eat anything didn't eat them. I think it's because here in New Zealand we don't have the taste for traditional gingerbread. Instead I found this perfect recipe from Zoella last Christmas and since then I have made these cookies 4 times. These gingerbread men are so delicious. The molasses flavour is hidden underneath the ginger and cinnamon but still provides a warm spice. This recipe is really different because it is made on the stove but it works and makes cleanup much easier as everything is in one pot!
As I said this recipe is from Zoella but I've altered it a little bit. I found that this recipe makes about 50 small gingerbread men. it definitely makes heaps so if you want less you can halve recipe. These are so yummy You should definitely try these. If you do comment below and tell me what you think!

Ingredients:

3/4 cup of brown sugar
2 tablespoons of golden syrup (I prefer to use honey)
1 tablespoon of molasses
1 tablespoon of water
1 teaspoon of cinnamon 
1 heaped teaspoon of ginger
100g of butter
1/2 teaspoon of baking soda
1 3/4 cups of flour

Mix everything except baking soda and flour in a bowl.


and melt it over a low heat.
When everything is melted add the baking soda and stir quickly. It should change into a golden colour. Once everything is combined take it off the heat. 



Slowly add the flour until it makes a dough and roll it out. Take a cookie cutter and make some cookies!



Place them into an oven for 8 minutes. Check them constantly because they burn easily. If you want the soft and chewy bake them for 6 minutes.

And Voila! 



For the icing I used one cup of icing sugar, one teaspoon of lemon juice and 2 tablespoon on milk. I prefer a lemon icing because the sourness goes perfectly with the warm ginger spice.

I love the way they turned out. I think they are super cute and fun for a lazy winter day!



No comments:

Post a Comment